Where do you want to go?

DISCLAIMER: THIS GUIDE IS EXTREMELY THOROUGH AND WILL BRING UP FEELINGS, EMOTIONS, AND EVEN PHYSICAL SENSATIONS. TAKE TIME TO COMPLETE IT AND SEEK A THERAPIST IF YOU CONSIDER IT NECESSARY. IT DOES NOT REPLACE ANY KIND OF PSYCHOLOGICAL AID. MAKE A SPACE TO MEDITATE YOUR ANSWERS AND A SPACE TO REST AFTER. 

Self-awareness in this day and age is vital. It is the essence of your individuality. This is important because it is what makes you competitive in work or school, it's what makes you who you are. Adolescence is an important stage because it's when kids start to question their parents, their ways of thinking and start forming their own selves. However, some people never find themselves or lose themselves seeking external validation, social approval or because of other triggers like fear or guilt.

“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
'I don't much care where -' said Alice.
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.
'- so long as I get SOMEWHERE,' Alice added as an explanation.
'Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, 'if you only walk long enough.”

― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland


In this third part of self-awareness, we'll discuss the path you want to follow. We all know someone that didn't choose where to go and life chose for them. How are people finding out at 40 that they lived a life they didn't choose? They feel like they were just playing someone's game and living someone else's life. Then, people have an existential crisis; when they look at their life and it feels without value, purpose or merit. It's important to define clearly where we want to go, according to our core. I'll divide this in two, considering also, career options following Kathy Caprino's post on "Surefire plan to figure out what you really want":


  •      Where do I see myself in short, medium and long term? One week, two, six months, one, five years. Physically, economically, emotionally?
  •       What do I want to change about who I am? What things don't I like about myself? Do I want to invest in changing a weakness? Do I want to encourage one of my strengths? Do I want to take time on perfecting a talent? Why? Is it for economic or emotional profit?
  •      What do I want to change about my life? How can I adapt my life to who I now know I am?
  •      Which carreer do I like based on my likes and dislikes? Which passions can I make a life out and which ones can be hobbies? Am I running away from something? Or towards something?
This is emotionally easier than the last two questionnaires. The aim of this one is to feel excited, motivated and empowered. Just a little bit scared, but not overwhelmed. If you feel something isn't quite right, then you might want to reconsider. It's ok, you can.

Also, just because you do all this planning doesn't mean life will magically get you there, and it doesn't mean you will actually like it. Maybe in a couple of months, this path stops feeling good and you want to change, it's fine. It's doable. It's life.

Previous                                                                                                  Next

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Let's talk about addiction: First step

Who are you?

Midnight rant: Kill the cow

Midnight rant: the psychology of the struggle

Money, money, money